Silk is a very popular and sought after fabric. It is created using the thread from the silk worm cocoon, and was originally discovered in ancient China. Due to the many steps which are required to create the fabric, silk is considered to be a high end product and is expensive.
Silk is well known for its smooth feel and beautiful luster appearance. Silk may appear to be a delicate fabric, but it is actually one of the strongest natural fabrics. However, it is not considered to be a very durable fabric and will not hold up to repetitive use like other fabrics will.
Many people are aware of the use of silk for clothing, but what are other uses for silk fabric?
5 Uses for Silk Fabric:
- Bedding: Silk fabrics are popular for use in the home. Due to their high level of comfort, silk is a popular fabric for bedding, including sheets, pillowcases and duvet covers.
- Drapery: Silk drapery fabric can be a beautiful and luxurious addition to a room. Silk drapery fabric will be soft and flow well, which are two key criteria for a drapery fabric.
- Wall Covering: Silk can also be used as a high end wall covering.
- Art: Because of silk’s texture and ability to take on vibrant colors, silk has been a used for beautiful tapestries and framed woven art for thousands of years, especially in the orient.
- Upholstery: Silk fabric can be used as an upholstery fabric, however, since it is not highly durable it may not hold up well to repetitive use. Silk is also highly absorbent and will stain easily, so you want to limit is exposure to moisture. You may want to consider a faux silk fabric made from polyester that would give the look of silk with the durability of polyester.
At My Fabric Connection, we have options for silk and faux silk fabrics and our website makes it easy to browse from our huge collection. Be sure to check us out for the greatest fabrics at the lowest prices!
Buy Your Silk Fabric Today
At My Fabric Connection we are happy to carry silk fabrics. We invite you to check our selection of silk and faux silk fabrics at My Fabric Connection.